Monday, February 16, 2009

An Interview

A friend of mine recently posted this thing called 'an interview moment' and the deal is that she has to interview the first five people who want to be interviewed... I thought it sounded like fun, so here is Tamari's interview of myself. 

1. You are married to a very talented women, way to go on that! I am aware that among her many talents she is a choreographer. Do you dance? Even if you don't, if you could choreograph any musical or ballet what would it be and why?

First of all thanks! My wife is amazing, and for those of you who don't know she is choreographing (and starring in) Dixie State College's 110 in the Shade right now! (It opens on March 5th... go see it.) As for my self... I'm more of a mover rather than a dancer, although I usually pick up on things relatively quickly. If I could choreograph any musical or ballet I would like to turn a regular musical into a ballet... Like Sweeney Todd -  The Ballet or something like that. Now that I think about it, 110 would make a great Ballet.  

2. You seem to me to be a deep thinker AND a very spiritual person. Who are your heroes in Academics? In Religion? (They can be dead or living.)

Wow, again thanks. This is a tough question for sure. I think in academics I'm going to have to say Ayn Rand... her book "Atlas Shrugged" has made a big impact on my life. I love her view on the greatness of man, and his or her potential. I love the idea of working hard to earn, and deserve what you get. And I love that her characters never back down from a problem... they never give up. I must mention however that she fails to make room for a key ingredient that I believe a successful human being needs; and that's charity. She won't allow it. And that's were my religious views come in to balance things out. If I have to pick just one religious hero I think it has to be Christ. There are several other incredible men and women that I look up to, but they would all be upset if I named them instead of my Savior. I apologize for the 'obvious' answer... 

3. From what I've observed your family is close and all of you get along well. Are their any traditions that you do with your immediate family that you want to carry on with your wife and children? 

Yeah, my family is great. Some traditions that I really love happen on Christmas. Every Christmas morning we're led into the kitchen with our eyes closed to eat blueberry muffins and drink eggnog before we've even seen the presents. The anticipation is so much fun, and we get some family time before the excitement of opening the presents takes over. Then the day after Christmas we usually go shopping with our Christmas money and then go see a movie or a play that night.

4. You are such a nice, easy going guy. Do you ever get confrontational? How do you deal with the 'jerks' of the world? Have you gotten into an all out shouting match or fist fight with someone?

Tamari, you're making me sound like I'm much cooler than I actually am. Haha. "Keeping my cool" is something that is very important to me. I think it comes from the realization that in most situations losing you temper, getting stressed out, or worrying does absolutely nothing towards solving the problem. So keeping calm, is usually a lot easier than getting all heated. Although I'm definitely not perfect and sometimes I do get upset. My triggers are broken promises, and obligations. (When people say they're going to do something, and then don't I tend to get frustrated.) And then of course anytime anyone offends, threatens, or upsets my wife or family I get very defensive. Other than that I TRY to stay pretty chill, and I can usually get along with anyone. 

5. You love the theater and have so much talent in that area. What is your dream role and why?

This is another question that is near impossible to answer. I think I'm just going to have to make a list of characters I would love to play. 

*Sweeney Todd - Sweeney Todd *Either lead man in Singing in the Rain *John Proctor - The Crucible 

* Macbeth - Macbeth *Hamlet - Hamlet *Nathan Hale - One Life *The Pirate King - The Pirates of Penznace

I don't know... every character always has some new and exciting element about them. I just like acting, regardless of the character, but those are a few that I hope I can get my hands on some day. 

Thanks for all the questions Tamari! 

I guess the deal now is that any of you who want to be interviewed just let me know, and I'll e-mail you five questions. Thanks for reading!

-Travis_


3 comments:

Mellissa said...

Wow, those are some detailed questions. I'm afraid that if I did this I would be the boring interviewer who asks stuff like "what's your favorite color?" heh heh. I loved your answers, though. I've been meaning to read Atlas Shrugged forever, I'll need to bump that up to the top of my TBR pile. Also: I went to see Ways to Woo, and it was seriously fantastic. My face hurt afterwards, because I never stopped laughing. And this seems to be the theme with comments about this play, but Adam also loved it, which is rare.

Trav said...

Very cool. Yeah, you'd love Atlas Shrugged. If for no other reason than to marvel at her extreme writing ability.

And I'm glad you loved Ways to Woo!

Tamari said...

I am so glad you are back safe from Cali and I hear that you won for sound design! Congrats!! I am also glad you are back because I was looking forward to your answers! I loved reading this! Thanks for participating!! :) And we will be there for 110 in the Shade, can't wait!