Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Good Always Trumps Bad


I just noticed that it has been almost a complete year since I've bothered to post anything here on this page... That's a long time sure, but considering everything that has happened in my life since then it seems like it has been much longer. I could write a big long comprehensive blog about all the things that have happened... but I won't. For two reasons. One, I don't think anyone reads this anyway. Two, if you did read it, it would bore you.

Instead I'll write about something much more interesting... now. Now is a beautiful time for me. I'm married to a beautiful woman and we're happily going on seven months. I'm part of a show again to the first time in half a year, and it's nice to be back in the game. I'm playing the part of File in 110 in the Shade, and so far so good. What makes it even better is that my wife, and my best friend are both in the show with me. I really think that it's going to be one of the best shows that I've ever been a part of. There really is so much good in my life that I almost feel bad mentioning anything remotely bad. But I will, cause we all need a little drama in our life. Just know, reader, that the good in my life, is definitely trumping the bad.

I auditioned for Crucible on Tuesday and I actually felt really good about my audition. I think I applied all the things I've learned in the past and really had a good go at things. But then I wasn't called back today. And even though I know that a. Just because I wasn't called back doesn't mean I'm not going to be in the show. And b. There are way more factors than just "how good my audition" was that go into making a casting choice. I still feel the sting of disappointment. I was really excited about this show, I mean... it's The Crucible! It's THE SHOW! It's legendary in it's amazing-ness. And it looks as though I'll be in the seats instead of on the stage. I'm trying my best to be a good person, and be excited for my friends who did get called back, but I'm still down about it. Dumb huh.

On a positive note I had the incredible opportunity to watch some of my peers audition for the show. It was so great because I got to put on the eyes of a director and see what things stand out for the good and for the bad. I had three different sections of notes. One section of things for me to remember next time I audition. One section for things that Michael did that I will emulate if ever I direct a show. And one section where I kind of... evaluated each persons performance and recorded what roles I felt they would be good for. It was so amazing that it almost makes up for not getting a callback. I hope I have more opportunities like that in the future.

As for those who do end up in the show, congrats! I can't wait to see it!

3 comments:

♥Concerned♥ said...

I would love to see your cast list....

Roger Dunbar said...

hey hey, and you DID get in! I agree, it was a cool audition. I was very impressed with Michael's direction and insight during those few short scenes. I feel I missed out because I didn't get to see anyone's scene but my own. I feel an audition is an ultimate learning experience.

I admire that you took good notes. Those will be valuable. As you know, so much about the art is observation. I look forward to working with you in the show.

Trav said...

Yeah, my cast list would, admittedly, be different. Probably not better, but definitely different.

And thanks Roger, I'm definitely excited to work with you as well!