Monday, April 26, 2010

Movie Monday - Raging Bull


I have to preface this review with the awareness that I couldn't give this movie my full attention. I was doing laundry / doing push-ups. That said I think I was paying enough attention to write an accurate review. The movie of the week is none other than 'Raging Bull.'

I was introduced to this movie by my wife. Believe it or not I had never heard of it, I've never seen a preview, and I didn't know anything about the plot. What I did know was that it was directed by Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro won an Oscar for it... and that's about it. I love going into movies blind.

It's because of movies like 'Raging Bull' that we respect Scorsese so much. It is a beautifully filmed piece of theatre. The editing is brilliant and the black and white stylization is superb. The small splash of color right in the middle of the film is refreshing and excellent.

Let's just talk about the acting for a minute shall we? I want to use a word like succulent, or divine, or astonishing, but really 'great' is just the word I need. Everyone was great. De Niro was genius. And the rest of the cast was right up there with him. Excellent job all around.

The story was solid. Triumphant and tragic all in one swoop. The story of the great boxer Jake LaMotta. We love him we hate him. We cheer for him and we curse him. A complex character to say the least. My only complaint is that it runs a bit long. Other than that it was a really fantastic film. I definitely recommend it.

One of these days I'm gonna watch a movie I don't like... until then I give 'Raging Bull' an 8/10.

__________________

On a side note I've been invited by this website to publish my reviews. It's pretty cool. If you're looking for a great place to read movie reviews I recommend it.

-TravLCox_

No comments: